Saturday, December 22, 2007

new name (part one)



perhaps i am being a bit obsessive right now. call me crazy (read my last post, i just did), but there is this slight feeling of insignificance that is overwhelming me at the moment with regard to my name.

jason moore. there, i said it. everyone i know knows my name. and probably has varying images or notions of what that names connotes. what i have not been completely conscious of, however, is how ubiquitous it is in this ever-web shrinking cosmos around us.

it started an hour ago. i added a friend's link to my blog and had to google her in order to remind myself of the proper spelling of her last name. after typing in what i thought to be the appropriate surname, i successfully came up with her link. there it was: the very first of the first on the first page on google. (i've done this before with niamh, and found some interesting links to doeat...another story).

out of curiosity, i proceeded to do it with my own name. yes, the name comes up. but nothing relating to me does. not in the first 20 pages! i don't know about afterwards. i halted the search out of discouragement.

am i being egotistical? what is there, in the cliched expression (okay, go ahead and use it!), in a name anyway?

probably nothing. but i'm bored. and i want to do something about it.

my ex-roommate changed his name once. around the same time, i thought about doing the same. but it seemed like a bit of work. maybe too much to do with my short attention span. or maybe i didn't want to come off like i was mimicking him.

i guess i simply don't like it. never mind the associations it has with the family. there is too much anger and self-pity in that realm to even waste energy on anymore.

it won't change me. probably people i know will not even use it. but i do believe that i am going to look into it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jason. Why bother with changing your name when you can just bump up your google page rank?

First thing, put a few Meta tags with Keywords (your name, at least) and Description (your name) at the head of your blog template.

Second, have your friends link to you under your name (not Adesso...). Done. Give it some time to work. Google page rank increases with the number of... think of them as citations... you receive.

Just some nerdism for you this Saturday. Enjoy.